Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Trumpet Cake

This was a tricky one!  The client wanted a trumpet cake.  I decided to make a trumpet in a case.  The trumpet would be gumpaste and the case would be the cake.  I loved making the trumpet!!  I made all the little tubes, the bell and the keys separately, then used little dots of gumpaste to piece them together.  I used edible gold spray paint on it, like I did previously with a saxophone cake (which I just realized I never posted-oops!).


After spraying the gold on it, I painted on the metallic silver details.  Too much fun!  The 'case' was just a couple of marble cakes stacked.  I scooped out some of the cake so that the trumpet would fit, then covered the cake in fondant.


Again, learning from my mistakes, I would have done this cake different.  The structure wasn't that great.  I did not like the dowels showing.  I've seen some cheats online on how to build this cake without dowels, so I would follow those next time.  Over all, the effect was fantastic and the birthday girl thought it was amazing!

1 comment:

  1. This trumpet is amazing!!! I'm about to do a band themed grooms cake in about a month and I'm using your trumpet as inspiration...although I don't know that I'll ever be able to make it look nearly that good. ;) Do you happen to have any tips or advice for me? Can you tell me what brand spray and paint you used? I would surely appreciate any help or tips you can offer. Thanks in advance!!!
    kristenscakery@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete